Some of the cool vim tricks and tips
Some of the cool vim tricks and tips
I use vim everyday. So much that even to write notes I use vim!
Here are some of the awesome tricks I have come across:
1. Suppose you have opened a file for which you dont have permission. While saving it will say "E212: Cant open file for writing". Now instead of saving this temporarily in another file and then saving in this file, you can do this:
2. You can edit binary files like in hexedit

3. Easy diff between two files. Say there are two files a and b. To find the diff of a with respect to b

4. See command history

5. Execute command while still in vim.
Here I am compiling and running cpp file without closing it.

6. Autocomplete whatever you are typing in insert mode based on the words you have typed before:

7. Directory Listing without NERDTree
8. Indenting code
To indent the current line, press ==
To indent the code till next closing flower brace, press =}
Here is an example of indenting the entire code block. Place the cursor on { and then press =%
Before

Indented

9. Make searching as you type instead of after completing typing the entire thing
10. Download and open source code for a given url
I usually use this to quickly view responses of my web pages.
I will add more in the future.
Sources:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Best_Vim_Tips
What are the dark corners of Vim your mom never told you about?
Here are some of the awesome tricks I have come across:
1. Suppose you have opened a file for which you dont have permission. While saving it will say "E212: Cant open file for writing". Now instead of saving this temporarily in another file and then saving in this file, you can do this:
:w !sudo tee %
2. You can edit binary files like in hexedit
:%!xxd
3. Easy diff between two files. Say there are two files a and b. To find the diff of a with respect to b
:vert diffs b
4. See command history
q:
5. Execute command while still in vim.
:! <command>
Here I am compiling and running cpp file without closing it.
6. Autocomplete whatever you are typing in insert mode based on the words you have typed before:
Ctrl+n
7. Directory Listing without NERDTree
:vsp %:h
8. Indenting code
=<next position>For example,
To indent the current line, press ==
To indent the code till next closing flower brace, press =}
Here is an example of indenting the entire code block. Place the cursor on { and then press =%
Before
Indented
9. Make searching as you type instead of after completing typing the entire thing
:set incsearch
10. Download and open source code for a given url
vim http://google.com
I usually use this to quickly view responses of my web pages.
vim http://localhost/path
I will add more in the future.
Sources:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Best_Vim_Tips
What are the dark corners of Vim your mom never told you about?
download file now
Comments
Post a Comment