Splunk Creating eventtypes from csv to name VLANS

Splunk Creating eventtypes from csv to name VLANS


Everyone got the VLAN name lookup working from the last post? You did.. ? Really someone is listening?

Next lets use the information in the internal_networks.csv file to create event types and really change the way we search in splunk.

While researching this topic, I learned that you CAN NOT do subsearches in eventtypes.conf
I was hoping to do something like (dont try it it doesnt work)

eventtypes.conf
[vlan:Guest] 
search src_ip=172.30.21.0/24 |lookup vlan network AS src_ip OUTPUT name AS Src_VLAN

So I had to find an easy way to parse our csv. I love trying to do all my heavy lifting on one line in linux. So I challenged myself.. can it be done?

As a reminder here is our internal_networks.csv  I have cleaned it up to conform with the common information model the best I could.  No spaces in the names and no capital letters.

network,name
"192.168.1.0/24","corporate"
"192.168.2.0/24","voice"
"192.168.3.0/24","nosc_tac"
"192.168.4.0/24","servers"
"192.168.5.0/24","engineering"
"192.168.6.0/24","security"
"192.168.7.0/24","unassigned"
"192.168.8.0/24","it_engineering"
"192.168.9.0/24","human_resources"
"192.168.10.0/24","call_manager"
"192.168.11.0/24","wireless"
"192.168.12.0/24","executive_office"
"192.168.13.0/24","unassigned"
"192.168.14.0/24","voip"
"192.168.15.0/24","finance"
"192.168.16.0/24","marketing"
"192.168.17.0/24","pm_users"
"192.168.18.0/24","sales"
"192.168.19.0/24","consultants"
"192.168.20.0/24","procurement"
"192.168.21.0/24","guest"
"192.168.255.0/24","255"

..and with a single beautiful line you can create a new eventtypes.conf with our internal_networks.csv.

sudo awk -F"""  NR!=1{ print "[vlan:"$4"]" " ", "search = src_ip="$2" "} /opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/lookups/internal_networks.csv >> /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/eventtypes.conf
You might have to change permissions to write (append to /opt/splunk/etc/apps/default/local/eventtypes.conf)

and now look what we have..  well defined event types! Now you can stop guessing what 192.168.3.45 is.. It is the nosc_tac vlan!


Additionally you now have the ability to search via vlan name
eventtype=vlan:sales or even try eventtype=vlan:* | top eventtype

Remember: If your internal_networks.csv changes you will have to regenerate your eventtypes.conf with the magical awk line from above.

Comments?

Ross Warren
Cyber Security, CISSP, GCIH, GSEC 



download file now

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spider Man Friend Or Foe ISO Free Download PPSSPP Setting

Sorry Mutter closed unexpectedly on Ubuntu 10 10

Solution Ubuntu 10 04 minimize maximize and close button to right