SOLVED Modifying keymaps

SOLVED Modifying keymaps


I had a problem with a keyboard: the period key wasnt working and it was a hardware problem. The period key is important! So what now? Realizing that there were a couple of keys that I almost never used, I thought that remapping one of those keys was a good idea.

Remapping can be accomplished using xmodmap command with the following syntax:

xmodmap -e "keysym KEYSYMNAME = KEYSYMNAME ..."

KEYSYMNAME is something like: period, delete, equal, a, b, c. When in doubt, the xev can be used to find the correct symbols name.

Example

In my case, I was trying to remap the Guillemet (� or �) key to the Period key, so that it would be used to produce a period and a colon. On a terminal window I ran this:

xmodmap -e "keysym guillemotleft = period colon"

The colon will be produced when using the Shift key.

One more thing, please take in consideration that Im using a keyboard with Portuguese layout, so this solution might not make sense to you.

References

xmodmap(1) | manpage

download file now

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spider Man Friend Or Foe ISO Free Download PPSSPP Setting

Sorry Mutter closed unexpectedly on Ubuntu 10 10

Solution Ubuntu 10 04 minimize maximize and close button to right